Super Simple Lentil Soup
This lentil soup recipe is originally from my Tatah’s (grandma in Arabic) recipe. It’s a really simple recipe with a few ingredients and cheap to make. Make sure to top it with some fresh squeezed lemon juice and eat it with pita bread (have an extra bite for me since I don’t eat gluten). I think I miss pita bread the most since going gluten-free. There’s just things I admit do not taste good as “gluten-free”. I don’t miss gluten in general, I just miss being able to enjoy traditional meals I grew up eating that I won’t bother to recreate as paleo. But I’ve seen some pretty good recipes out there. I used to cook like a crazy person and that’s when I should have documented it all with pics, recipes, etc but I was also extremely sick the past few years and so I didn’t think to do that. Otherwise this blog and my instagram would have been way more food centered.
Okay enough of ranting! Here is the recipe and look I remembered to take some pictures AS I ACTUALLY COOKED in the process! Enjoy!
· 1 cup orange/red lentils, rinsed
· 3-4 cups water or veggie broth (depending on how much liquid you want in your soup)
· half an onion, diced
· ½ tsp cumin
· salt to taste
· 1 tbsp olive oil
1. Place the olive oil in the soup pot
2. Heat on medium heat
3. Dice the onion and place in pot, cook onions until fragrant (1-2 mins)
4. Add the lentils and saute for (2 mins)
5. Add the salt & cumin
6. Add the water or broth
7. Allow to boil, then simmer for about 35 mins or until lentils are soft
8. Enjoy with lemon and pita bread!